"Increases stealth program detection on all nodes three steps away and closer.
Access, Wraith and Portal programs alarm the network faster."
|Level 1||Level 2-3||Level 4-5||Level 6-7||Level 8-9|
|Level 10-12||Level 13-15||Level 16-18||Level 19-21|
The Scanner is a defensive Security Node. During the Stealth phase in a </span>hack, the Scanner will increase the stealth cost of any stealth programs to nodes installed within 3 connections of the Scanner. The increase is based on the sensitivity statistic. As sometimes mentioned on the loading screen hints, if a network connection has two Scanners overlapping, the Scanner with the highest level be will prioritized.
|Node Connections||Program Slots|
|Core Level||0 - 3||4||5 - 9||10 - 12|
|Max # of|
- Defensively, Scanners have 4 connections and a low firewall relative to other nodes, while only allowing 3 programs to be installed on it. This makes it a good candidate for creating a choke point on your Network if connected to plenty of Security Nodes.
- When attacking a Scanner that has been used as a choke point, ICE Walls will need to be installed quickly. Consider using Shocker or Protector in conjuction with Ice Walls if the node is being recaptured too quickly.
- Placement is crucial. If the Scanner is too close to the netConnection, an attacker can disable it with Wraith then Stealth through the remaining nodes. If the Scanner is too far from the netConnection, an attacker can easily disable any defenses close to netConnections.
- If a network has a single Scanner, the network is especially vulnerable to Stealth attacks during the upgrade of the Scanner. As a defender, upgrade the Scanner as fast as possible. As an attacker, if you notice that the target network has no working Scanner, consider using Stealth as a method of attack.
- Security Nodes nodes are prime targets for Wraith or Portal. Try to keep them within range of a Scanner.
- If you *scan* long enough, who knows what you may find?! I have no idea what Q R talking about...
- Keep an eye on the visibility bar. It will take practice and several attempts before you are able to estimate how many nodes you will able to Access and how many programs you can place before you are detected. Try to take account of the level and placement of the Scanner, to discern if you are able to attempt a full Stealth hack or transition into a Brute Force hack.
- Disabling the Scanner may or may not be worth doing so depending on the level and position of the Scanner as well as if there is a second Scanner in the network.
- Code Gates are prime nodes to have in range of a Scanner, as installation of the Access program is increased proportional to the Filter statistic, almost necessitating the use of the Wraith program to disable a Gate first.
|Hackers Wikia - Възел|